Sunday, April 15, 2012

ice hockey thriving in chicago

I'm a basketball player by trade, through and through. But I started playing ice hockey for the first time in my entire life in late October of 2011. it was the first time I hit the ice, first time I smelled a rink up close. First time I dressed and first time I laced up. and it was the first time I fell in love with a sport.

Hockey is very difficult to learn. You may think its not because you see 6 year olds playing it but its very difficult to master. Not to mention the thought process behind the sport---the spacing of basketball, the objectives, placement, and setup of soccer, the intensity and violence of football all accelerated and intensified by the fact that they are on skates and can get up to incredible speeds that would be impossible on a field.
The whole sport is unnatural---skating, guiding a puck with a stick while elevated 6 inches off the ice, and using your hips to stop. But when you get it---you've got it. And that's why hockey is amazing.

These adult hockey camps are proof that the sport is attracting new fans everyday. If you've never given it a chance, why not do it today? Hockey Never Stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment