Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crossing streets with music blasting is dangerous--but what's up with those Beats anyway?

Okay, we get it. You LOVE music. That's the only reasonable explanation for buying noise-canceling, over-the-ear headphones (Beats by Dre, for example) that broke the bank with a price of upwards of $200. And at a point, we all need to ask ourselves (well, whoever BOUGHT them need to ask themselves, because I surely do not own a pair)-- "why did I buy these?" Was it because you truly wanted to hear the crisp sound of every instrument on the MP4? Do you just like how they look? Do you just not get along with inner-ear earphones? These are all legitimate questions. But I think the main reason you bought them is the marketing strategy by the people at Beats. They sold you the thoughts that 'you cant listen to music without these', 'you're not a real audiophile without these', and 'walking around with these makes you cooler than anyone else'. Now, am I being  rude in my analysis? -- Maybe, but I don't intend to be, I'm just trying to get to the root of the issue. Besides wondering how broke college students can afford such an expensive, luxury item, I came across an article that expressed the danger of walking around as a pedestrian with such a distracting item. (And in ALL FAIRNESS, the article legitimately blames all earphone/headphone devices, so us iPhone users with our little earbuds are in danger too!) You can read the article here. But, don't mind me---keep wearing you're painfully white headphones that cost you a month's worth of meals! I just hope you hear me when I honk you down from behind the wheel of my Toyota.

No comments:

Post a Comment